“Though many people protest that they “don’t eat a lot of meat, dairy and eggs”, the truth is you have no idea how much you are eating until you stop and examine your daily food choices more closely.”
Colleen Patrick-Goudreau, 30 Day Vegan Challenge
In Chapter 6, Colleen recommends that you really look at what you are eating by keeping a food diary for three days. She suggests that one of those days be a weekend because we eat differently then.
I kept a food diary for three days last week – Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday. I don’t work Wednesdays, so for me that is like a weekend day. It is interesting to compare what I ate this week to about eight months ago. I ate a lot of eggs for breakfast. I added cheese to things that work just great without it. Over a similar three day period I might have eaten sushi, Indian with paneer and ghee or even pizza with cheese.
This is a list of what I ate for three days last week. It is looking surprisingly good. If I had a list from the same three days last year, I am sure it would be a huge improvement.
- Smoothie – banana, strawberries, fresh orange juice, water, flax seed
Bagels – avocado, lettuce, tomato, vegan mayo with hot sauce, strips of baked tempeh (sliced thin, marinated with maple syrup, liquid smoke, soy sauce and vinegar). The tempeh is leftovers from this recipe. It is delicious, and I used cos lettuce instead of kale.
- Boiled new potatoes with olive oil and salt
- Steamed beans
- Mushrooms tossed in a wok with spring onion, corn and a tomato sauce made from tomatoes, garlic, onion, basil and dried Italian herbs
- [Later] Chocolate dairy-free Little Island icecream and blueberries.
- water, rooibus tea
- exactly the same smoothie as yesterday
- Left-overs potato salad – left-over potatoes, mushroom and corn with cos lettuce, tomato, red onion and a dressing of vegan mayonnaise and lime juice; also the last handful of left-over tempeh sticks
- Creamy leek polenta [from the 30 Day Vegan Challenge – I decided I couldn’t wait to start in on the recipes]
- Wilted spinach with sautéed garlic and mushrooms
- Homemade tomato sauce (tomatoes, onion, garlic, basil, dried Italian herbs)
- water, roobis tea
- Smoothie – banana, orange juice, blueberries, flax seed, spririlina
- (from the Sushi shop) – Vegetarian sushi roll – carrot, cucumber, avocado, rice, nori, maybe pickeled ginger, wasabi and soy sauce
- leftover spinach, mushroom and creamy leek polenta from last night
- large salad of cos lettuce, tomato, basil, dressing – lime juice, olive oil
- water, rooibus, pot of Earl Grey tea